Piquillo peppers are a variety of Spanish red peppers. They can be stuffed with fish, shellfish or meat. Our recipe uses ground beef mixed with béchamel sauce for the filling. Piquillo peppers are perfect for tapas or as a starter, and the recipe is easy to follow.
- Olive oil, divided in ½ cup and olive oil for frying
- 125 g/ ¾ cup flour
- 350 ml/1 ½ cups milkpimientos rellenos, piquillo peppers, stuffed peppers
- 100 ml/ ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ large onion
- 6 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 kg/2 lbs ground beef
- Salt to taste
- 25 piquillo peppers
- To prepare the béchamel sauce, heat the olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Keep stirring regularly, and pour in the milk and the chicken broth gradually. Season with salt and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly, until you have a very thick and smooth sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and heat on medium. While the oil is heating, dip the peppers in the beaten egg and then roll in the flour until well coated. When the oil is hot, fry the peppers until the outside turns golden brown. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- To serve, arrange the peppers in a serving dish.
- To make the filling, peel and chop the onion finely. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. When hot, add the chopped onion and paprika. Sauté on medium heat until translucent. Stir in the ground beef and fry, stirring constantly. Season with salt.
- Once the meat is thoroughly cooked, drain excess fat from pan. Decrease the heat to low and pour in the béchamel sauce. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Set aside and leave to cool.
- When the filling is cool, use a spoon to gently fill the peppers.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and put some flour in a plate.