Enchilada is a Mexican food which includes a corn tortilla rolled around a filling and then covered with chili pepper sauce. Enchiladas can be filled with a lot of different ingredients, but the main fillings are cheese, beans, meat, potatoes, seafood and vegetables.
Here you have an authentic Mexican recipe for enchiladas:
Mexican chicken enchiladas
- 12 corn tortillas
- 5 tsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, mincedMexican chicken enchiladas
- 1 (400 g/14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (125 g/4 oz) can chopped cooked green chiles, or ⅓ cup chopped pickled jalapeños (to taste)
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar (if needed)
- 3-4 skinless chicken breasts (if you prefer, you can use ground beef), cut into small pieces
- 450 g/1 lb of grated jack cheese/mild cheddar
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ head iceberg lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a frying pan, heat the tortillas (for 2-3 seconds on each side).
- Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil to a sauté pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, the green chiles, the water and the oregano.
- Bring to a simmer and taste. If needed, add half a teaspoon of sugar to the sauce to make it less acid.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and add salt to taste.
- Add 2 tablespoon of oil to a pan and fry the chicken until brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Take a tortilla, add the shredded cheese and 1 to 2 tablespoons of chicken (cover about ⅔ of the tortilla), then roll up the tortilla and place it in the baking dish.
- Fill all the tortillas and put them into the baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the tortillas and cover them all (you can thin the sauce if necessary with some water).
- Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese over the tortillas.
- Put the baking dish in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- You can garnish enchiladas with cilantro and sour cream and serve with sliced iceberg lettuce dressed only with vinegar and salt.