Pico de gallo, also called salsa fresca, is a typical Mexican sauce. It is an uncooked salad made mainly from tomato, white onion, and chilis (jalapeños, serranos or habaneros), so it has the colors of the Mexican flag. However, it can also contain other ingredients, such as shrimp, avocado, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, coriander, or radish.
This is an easy recipe to prepare pico de gallo, which is a perfect accompaniment for Mexican dishes such as nachos and fajitas, among others:
Pico de gallo
- ½ medium white onion
- 3-4 medium tomatoes.
- 1-1½ fresh jalapeño/serrano chile (to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice (or more, to taste)
- Finely chop the onion.
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and chop them into very small dice.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the serrano chili peppers and mince them.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Squeeze 1 lime. For this recipe, you should use 2 tablespoon of lime juice, but you can add more lime juice if you want.
- Combine all the previous ingredients in a bowl.
- Season with salt.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Stir the mixture well and drain the excess liquid the bowl may have.
- Note that this salsa can be kept in the refrigerator for up to one day.