Lamb is a popular type of meat in Spain. Tender, juicy and full of flavor, lamb is perfect for any occasion. One of the most traditional Spanish recipes with lamb is the leg of lamb, which consists of a leg of lamb roasted in the oven. The recipe is extremely easy, and the result is an exquisite dish.
Leg of Lamb
- 2 tbsp lard or vegetable shortening, melted
- 1.5 kg/3 ½ lb leg of lamb
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- Melt the lard or vegetable shortening in a small saucepan or in the microwave.
- Preheat oven to 200 ºC/400 ºF.
- Rub the lamb with the melted lard and season with salt and thyme on both sides. Place the lamb on an oven tray or in a clay cooking pot and pour 1 cup of water in the tray.
- Reduce heat to 180 ºC/350º F, place the tray in the oven and bake.
- The sauce will slowly form on the tray. Baste the lamb with the sauce every 20 minutes.
- Bake for 1 ½ – 2 hours, until the lamb is golden brown on the outside and the meat is tender. It will take more or less time depending on the thickness of the leg.
- Serve hot with roast potatoes or salad.