Fresh anchovy’s fillets marinated in vinegar and olive oil, and seasoned with garlic and parsley.
Anchovies Marinated in Vinegar (Boquerones en vinagre)
- 2 lbs fresh anchovies
- 300 ml/ 1 ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 100 ml/ ½ cup water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 250 ml/ 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- Remove the heads, backbones and innards from the anchovies. Split down the middle, without separating the two halves. Rinse thoroughly with running cold water. Lay the anchovies in a baking dish and leave, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- In a large, wide bowl, pour the water and vinegar and mix. Add a pinch of salt. Gently place the anchovies inside. The anchovies must be completely covered by water and vinegar.
- Cover or seal with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator. Allow to marinate for about 2 hours, depending on the size of the anchovies. The fillets will slowly turn white as the vinegar reacts with the fish.
- Drain from vinegar and place the anchovies in a wide dish. Place them in layers with the skin side facing down. Pour the olive oil into the dish, covering every anchovy. Set aside.
- Chop the garlic and parsley very fine. Then sprinkle over anchovies.
- To serve, place the anchovies on top of small bread slices.