Meatballs are a simple yet delicious dish, they are easy to prepare and taste great. They are a filling main course, although they can be a good tapa too. For this recipe, you can use either pork mince or ground beef, or a mixture of both.
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and very finely chopped
- 500g/1 lb minced beef or pork
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp dried parsley (or oregano, if using pork mince)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Plain flour, for coating
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 200 g/7 oz Spanish fried tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Peel and chop the onion. Beat the egg. Set aside
- In a large bowl, mix the minced meat, garlic, parsley, salt and breadcrumbs. Mix using your hands and pour in the beaten egg. Mix again until the mixture is well combined. Shape the mixture into small balls.
- Put some flour in a plate and dip the meatballs until well coated.
- Pour 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a large frying pan and heat on medium. When hot, fry the meatballs, turning frequently, until golden brown all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To prepare the sauce, pour 2 tbsp of olive oil in the pan and heat on medium. Peel and finely chop the onion and carrots. When the oil is hot, sauté the chopped onion and carrots until the onion is translucent.
- Place the meatballs back into the pan and pour in the white wine and tomato sauce. Stir gently and add the parsley and saffron. Cook for 1-2 minutes and pour in 1 cup of water. Stir gently but thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When the meatballs are cooked through, remove from heat. Serve hot.