Cod is one of the specialties on the Spanish coast, especially in the north of Spain. We have a wide variety of cod recipes. To start with, we propose this easy recipe to get in touch with the healthiest and tastiest Spanish cuisine.
1 kg/2 lbs dried salt cod
6 tbsp olive oil, divided
White flour, to coat fish
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, crushed
1 pinch black pepper
Salt to taste
Before cooking the cod:
Before cooking, it’s necessary to leach out the salt from the cod. To do it, soak the fish in water for 48 hours, and change the water at least 3 times.
- Remove the fish from the water and dry. Cut into 3 pieces and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on medium. While oil is heating, dip the cod in the flour until well coated. When the oil is hot, fry the cod until it turns golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Now heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan on medium. When hot, stir in the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent, then stir in the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cod to the saucepan and stir thoroughly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Incoming search terms:
- bacalao and tomato paste recipe
- bacalhau tomate
- best cod in spanish sauce recipes
- cod in tomato sauce recipes
- fish in tomato sauce