Sardines are very popular in Spain. Really healthy and inexpensive, sardines taste delicious and don’t require many cooking skills or ingredients to prepare a good dish. Fried sardines are a Spanish favorite. However, frying sardines is not a really clean way of preparing them and is very smelly. For that reason, we recommend a clean and free-of-smell recipe to roast sardines:
- 500 g sardines
- Wash under cold, running water and pat dry with kitchen paper. If desired, you can scale and gut the sardines, but they taste better when they aren’t.
- Preheat the oven at 200 ºC.
- Sprinkle salt over the baking sheet. Place the sardines in the baking sheet and sprinkle salt over them. You don’t need to grease the baking sheet with oil because the sardines will release fat.
- Place the sardines in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes. After 10 minutes gently turn the sardines to evenly roast on both sides. Do it carefully to prevent the skin from sticking to the baking sheet.
- When the skin is golden brown ans wrinkled on both sides, remove from the oven.
- Serve hot with boiled potatoes or salad.