Marmitako is a traditional tuna stew from the Basque Country. It consists of juicy chunks of fresh tuna in a slightly spicy broth made with potatoes, pepper, onions and wine, among other ingredients. Marmitako is warm and full of flavor, the perfect dish for cold autumn and winter evenings.
- 1choricero pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and choppedtuna, stew, fish
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 cups fish broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ crushed tomato
- 600 g/1 lb 5 oz tuna, cut into pieces
- Place the choricero peppers in a bowl with water for 1 hour. Remove and place in a pot. Fill the pot with water to cover them. Bring to a boil and let boil for 1 minute. Throw away the water and repeat the process two more times with clean water. When boiled, cut off the tops and take out the pulp. Set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Slice the pepper. Pour olive oil in a large saucepan and heat on low. Add the onion, garlic and pepper to the saucepan and sauté.
- Peel and chop the carrot. Add to the saucepan and sauté everything until tender.
- Chop the chili. Add the chili and the choricero pepper pulp, and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the white wine into the saucepan. Let the wine reduce.
- While the wine is reducing, peel, wash and cut the potatoes. Then, add to the saucepan.
- Season with salt and paprika.
- Increase the heat to high and add the broth, a bay leaf and the crushed tomato. Stir until well mixed. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low. Gently shake the saucepan to thicken the sauce without crumbling the potatoes.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender.
- In the meanwhile, rinse and pat dry tuna. Cut the tuna in bite-sized pieces. Remove any skin and fish bones.
- Then add the tuna to the saucepan, shake gently and turn off the heat. The tuna will cook with the residual heatso don’t remove the saucepan from the stove.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the tuna to cook through. Serve hot.