Lentil soup is a filling, nutritious and delicious dish. Moreover, it’s quite easy to prepare: lentils are simply simmered with chorizo and other vegetables such as carrots, onions and potatoes, among other vegetables. Lentil soup is a traditional Spanish first course or main course, and it’s usually eaten in winter because it makes you feel warm and cozy.
- 500 g/1 lb dry lentils, soaked in water overnight
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and dice (optional)
- Peel and chop the garlic, onions, carrots and tomatoes. Chop the pepper. All the ingredients must be chopped finely so that they dissolve while cooking.
- Pour 4 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan and heat. When hot, sauté the garlic and onion until tender. Add the chopped pepper, tomato and carrot, and a bay leaf. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the pork loin chops and the paprika. Sauté for 2 minutes or until the pork loin chops are golden brown all over. Stir using a wooden spoon and add the lentils to the saucepan. Stir thoroughly for 3 minutes.
- Fill 2/3 of the saucepan with cold water. The amount of water doesn’t have to be exact: if you use a small amount of water, the lentil soup will be thicker, and vice versa.
- Skim any fat or foam off the top using a skimmer. Cook for 30 minutes, then taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the chorizo sausages and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove the chorizo and pork loin chops. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Add the potatoes to the soup and continue simmering until the lentils are tender and potatoes are cooked through (about 12 to 15 minutes). Remove from the heat and put the chorizo and pork back into the saucepan. Serve hot.
Before cooking, lentils must be soaked in water overnight. Then remove from water and drain.