Gazpacho is an Andalusian dish similar to salmorejo. It consists of a creamy soup made with tomatoes, olive oil and vegetables. This is one of the healthiest dishes you can prepare, and it’s very easy as well. As it’s served cold, it’s the perfect starter for any summer day that you feel like having a taste of delicious Spanish food.
1 kg/2 lb ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 green pepper, peeled and chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/3 onion, peeled and chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Wash and peel the tomatoes, pepper and cucumber. Chop the tomatoes and remove the seeds. Chop the pepper, remove the seeds and the stalk. Chop the cucumber. Peel and chop the garlic and onion.
- Place the chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Blend using a mixer until the mixture is smooth and without lumps.
- Add the salt, olive oil and vinegar to the bowl. Check the seasoning, adding more salt or vinegar if desired If the mixture is too thick, add cold water little by little.
- If desired, use a strainer to remove any seeds or lumps.
- Refrigerate until it is ready to serve.
- To serve, pour the mixture into bowls or soup plates.
Note: You can add 100 g of bread soaked in water to make the mixture thicker.