This Spanish stew is typical from La Rioja and, together with fabada and cocido, it is one a common dishwhich include the usage of the Spanish smoked sausage or chorizo. If you want to savor the real flavors of this region, try the following recipe:
Potatoes with smoked sausage
- 2 dried choricero peppers
- 1kg/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1 green pepper
- 150 ml/5 fl oz olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, also chopped
- 200 g/7-8 oz chorizo, cut into slices
- 1/2 tsp pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1 bay leaf
- 500 ml/17-18 fl oz water or stock
- 1- 1½ tbsp salt
- Remove the seeds of the dried peppers and soak them in warm/hot water.
- Peel the potatoes and wash them.
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces (to release the maximum starch and thicken the stew, instead of simply cutting them, insert the knife tip at one end of the potato and then carefully use it as a wedge to break them into 1 ½-inch pieces).
- Chop the green pepper.
- In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent (for about 5 minutes).
- Add the chorizo and cook, stirring again, for about 1 minute (until heated).
- Add the potatoes and then the flesh of the peppers (without seeds and chopped).
- Add the paprika, the bay leaf and the salt and stir well.
- Cover with water or stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and the stew has thickened.
- Remove part of the oil on the surface if desired.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.