Cod is one of the fish specialties on the Spanish coast, especially in the north of Spain. We have a wide variety of cod recipes. Bacalao a la vizcaína or Biscay-style cod is typical from the Basque Country, and it’s one of its most representative dishes. It consists of cod fillets cooked in the traditional Biscayan sauce. It’s slightly more difficult than cod fish with tomato sauce, but it is worth the effort.
600 g cod fillet
4 choricero peppers
7 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 purple onions, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
5 slices of stale bread, crumbled into breadcrumbs
1 crushed tomato, peeled and without seeds
Flour, to coat
425 ml/ 1 ¾ cups water
Salt to taste
Note: Before cooking, it’s necessary to leach out the salt from the cod. To do it, soak the cod in water for 48 hours, and change the water at least 3 times. Remove the fish from the water and dry. Remove the scales and bones and clean well with a cloth.
- Place thechoricero peppers in a bowl with water for 1 hour. Remove and place in a pot. Fill the pot with water to cover them. Bring to boil and let boil for 1 minute. Throw away the water and repeat the process two more times with clean water. When boiled, cut off the top and take out the pulp.
- Peel and chop the onion. Pour 4 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan and heat. When hot, stir in the chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
- Peel and chop the garlic, and add to the saucepan. Then add the breadcrumbs. Sauté until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add the crushed tomato and sauté. Add the choricero pepper pulp and stir thoroughly. Pour in the water and season with salt. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, coat the cod fillets with flour. Pour 3 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and heat. When hot, add to the frying pan and fry for 1 minute on each side.
- Once the sauce has simmered, remove from the saucepan and blend with a ricer. Put it back in the saucepan and add the cod fillets. Stir gently and cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet.
- Taste the sauce and season if necessary. When the cod fillets are cooked through, remove from heat and serve hot.
Incoming search terms:
- bacalao a la vizcaina
- biscay sauce