Tomate frito is a Spanish traditional sauce used in many dishes, such as fish (cod fish with tomato sauce), meat (meatballs) or even simple boiled rice, but it is also the basic ingredients for other common foods like pasta, lasagna or pizza.
There are a lot of ways of preparing this tasty sauce, but the basic one includes tomato, olive oil, salt and sugar. Also, you can add onion, garlic or carrot, as well as some spices such as pepper, bay, basil or even oregano. This is an easy recipe to prepare delicious Tomate frito:
Tomate frito (Spanish fried tomato sauce)
- 1 kg (2 lb) ripe tomatoes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a saucepan, boil some water.
- Wash tomatoes.
- Cross-cut a slit into the bottom of each tomato.
- Introduce each tomato in the boiling water for about 20 seconds and then cool them into a bowl with cold water.
- Peel the tomatoes (it will be easier to remove the peel if you follow the previous steps).
- Chop the peeled tomatoes into small pieces (but be careful and do not throw the juices away; set them aside).
- Finely chop the onion (if you want to add onion to the sauce).
- In a saucepan (preferably high, as tomato sauce splash when boiling), heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until it is translucent and lightly golden brown, about 8‑10 minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes (and juices) and bring to a boil, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add half the sugar and salt to taste.
- Mash tomatoes and onion with the edge of a wooden spoon as they cook.
- When tomatoes are well cooked, pass them through a food mill to get a softer mixture.
- Adjust salt and sugar (if necessary) and cook for a couple minutes more.
- Tomato sauce should be ready in 45-50 minutes, but you can cook it until you get the texture you want (up to 2 hours). The more you cook it, the less you will get, as the juices evaporate and the amount of sauce reduces.
- Serve on a gravy boat.
- Note that this sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator, but you can also keep it in the freezer.