Peas with ham is an easy Spanish dish which can be served as a tapa or starter. Healthy and tasty, you just have to mix peas and serranoham in a frying pan and let them simmer for some minutes
Peas with ham
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g/ 7 oz serrano ham, cut into small dice
- 300 g/ 10 oz peas (canned, fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup water (optional)
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. When hot, add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and garlic turns golden brown.
- Stir in the serrano ham and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peas. If you are using canned peas, add the peas along with their canning water; if using frozen or fresh, one cup of water.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.