This tasty twist on classic American meatloaf is a perfect recipe to savor the real flavors of the Mexican spices.
Mexican meatloaf recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 oz soft Mexican chorizo, without casing and crumbled
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, and diced
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (cheddar and Monterey Jack)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored
- ¼ medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1-3 serrano chiles
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- In a heavy frying pan, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until vegetables are soft (stir often), for about 8 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- In a bowl, combine the previous vegetables, the ground beef, the chorizo, and the poblano chile. You can also add cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese to the mixture if you want.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the spices (salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin), the eggs and the sauces (ketchup and sour cream). Mix well and pour it on top of the previous mixture.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and mix all the ingredients with clean hands.
- Put the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch loaf-pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the meatloaf reaches 160 °F (you can insert a thermometer into the center of the meatloaf to check the temperature).
- Remove from the oven and pour off the accumulated juices.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over high heat.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves (unpeeled), and serrano chiles.
- Cook these ingredients, turning frequently, until lightly charred.
- Then peel the garlic cloves.
- Blend the charred ingredients (pulse until chunky).
- Pour this mixture into a small frying pan.
- Add the sugar, chipotle chile and mustard and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until slightly thickened and season with salt to taste.
- Slice the baked meatloaf and arrange on a plate.
- Cover the meatloaf with the sauce and serve.