This is an authentic Mexican recipe to prepare lasagna. There are several Mexican ingredients used in this recipe, but the most commonly known are black beans. Try this easy recipe to savor the typical Mexican flavors: Mexican lasagna recipe
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lb ground chicken breast
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 (425 g/15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (400 g/14 oz) can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 (8-10 inch) spinach flour tortillas (use regular tortillas if you cannot find them)
- 2 ½ cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped sour cream, olives, onion, tomato and extra cheese for the topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and the red onion and season with chili powder and cumin.
- Cook the meat for 5 minutes, until browned.
- Add the taco sauce or the stewed or fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add the black beans and the corn kernels.
- Heat the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Coat a shallow baking dish with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
- Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with.
- Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese and repeat the layers once again in that order.
- Bake the lasagna for 12-15 minutes, until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Top with the scallions and serve. You could also top with sour cream, olives, onions, tomatoes and/or some more cheese if desired. If you prefer this topping, then add the ingredients and bake uncovered, for 5-10 minutes more.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.