Authentic Mexican quesadillas
Quesadillas are a traditional Mexican food. A quesadilla consist of a tortilla, warmed to soften it enough to be folded in half, and then filled. Also, a quesadilla can be prepared with two tortillas, so each quesadilla will have a base tortilla, then the filling, and then another tortilla on top.
The main ingredients include Oaxaca cheese (a stringy cheese), onion, meat (chicken, beef or pork) and cooked vegetables (such as potatoes, mushrooms, epazote or huitlacoche). Also, quesadillas can be accompanied by guacamole, Mexican sour cream, pico de gallo, chopped onion, tomato, serrano chiles or cilantro.
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
⅓ cup sliced green onions
⅔ cup salsa
¾-1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
½ teaspoon dried oregano
6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
¼ cup butter, melted
2 cups (225 g/8 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
guacamole/pico de gallo
Makes 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Chop the chicken and slice the onions.
- In a large frying pan, combine the chicken, the sliced green onions and the salsa.
- Add the cumin, the salt and the oregano.
- Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Melt the butter.
- Spread some butter on one side of each tortilla.
- Grease a baking sheet lightly with some butter and place the tortillas, buttered side down, on it.
- Add ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture over half of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with ⅓ cup of cheese.
- Fold the plain side of the tortilla over the cheese.
- Bake at 375 °F for 10 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole or pico de gallo.
Incoming search terms:
- authentic mexican quesadilla recipe
- authentic quesadilla
- authintic mexican quesadilla