Leche Frita is a traditional Spanish dessert. It’s a thick and creamy milk pudding encased in a fried shell of flour and egg. The recipe is very easy, so why not trying these creamy squares full of flavor?
100 g/3.5 oz corn flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 lemon rind
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
100 g/3.5 oz sugar
Sunflower oil or butter, to grease
Sunflower oil, to fry
Sugar, to decorate
- Pour half of the milk in a bowl. Gradually add the flour while stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir until the flour is completely dissolved.
- Beat two eggs and add to the bowl. Stir until everything is well mixed, without any lumps.
- Pour the other half of the milk in a saucepan and heat on medium. Wash and dry the lemon. Peel the lemon finely (try to avoid as much of the white part as possible). Add the cinnamon stick (if desired) and the lemon rind.
- When it’s starting to boil, reduce heat to low. Remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon rind.
- Gradually add the flour and milk mixture while stirring constantly with a whisk. Don’t stop stirring to prevent sticking. Stir until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Then, gradually add the sugar while stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir for at least three minutes. Before removing from the heat, make sure that the mixture is very thick.
- Remove from the heat. Grease a wide large plate with butter or sunflower oil and pour in the mixture. Allow cooling, then cover the plate and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. The longer you keep it in the fridge, the more compact the mixture will be.
- When the mixture is cold, cut into portions. Beat one egg in a bowl and sprinkle some flour in another bowl. First dip the portions into flour, then into the beaten egg until well coated.
- Heat sunflower oil in a large frying pan. When hot, fry the portions for about 1 minute or until golden brown all over.
- Remove from heat and drain on kitchen paper. Place in a serving plate and sprinkle with sugar.
Incoming search terms:
- custard fried dessert
- easy leche frita recipe
- half & half milk recipe
- leche frita recipe
- spanish recipes