is one of the most famous Spanish recipes. It is tasty, simple and loved by everyone. It is perfect for every occasion as it can be served hot or cold, as main course or even as tapas, cut into small cubes. Tortilla has a hundred recipes, but the original version is the one made with eggs, potatoes and onion.The preparation is easier than it seems, give it a try!
800 g/ 28 oz potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2-3 cups of olive oil for pan frying
Salt to taste
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and drain off the water. Then peel and cut them into thin slices. If sliced a bit thick, it will take longer for them to cook.
- Peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Remember the pan should not be too heavy as you will have to turn the omelet using both hands.
- When the oil is hot, add the potatoes and onions and fry them, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Then turn down the heat, add salt and let them cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them using a fork.
- Once the potatoes and onions are cooked, transfer them to the eggs in the bowl, carefully draining oil from them. Mix the potatoes and eggs thoroughly.
- Pour 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil into the pan and heat on medium heat. When hot, pour the mixture into the pan,spreading evenly over the surface. Allow the egg to cook until sides and bottom have turned golden brown.
- Turn it over to cook the other side. To do it, first place a plate upside down over the pan to cover the top. Secondly, put one hand on top of the plate and the other on the frying pan handle. Then turn the frying pan carefully because the egg will still be runny on top and in middle. The omelet will fall on the plate, place the pan back on the stove and gently slide the omelet into the pan.
- Shape the sides with a spatula to the give the omelet a rounded edge and continue cooking until the liquids are set.
- To serve it, slide the omelet onto a serving plate and cut in wedges.