Eggplants stuffed with minced beef or pork topped with cheese and baked in the oven.
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped and seeds removed
500 g/1 lb minced beef or pork
4 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp dried parsley (or oregano if using pork mince)
2 crushed tomatoes
200 ml/ ½ cup béchamel
100 g/3 oz grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC/400 ºF.
- To prepare eggplants, cut each one in half lengthways. Carefully score the flesh using a knife, taking care not to cut through the skin. Place the halves side by side on a baking tray. Sprinkle some drops of oil over each half with a tablespoon and season with salt. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When cool, carefully take the flesh out of the baked eggplant halves with a knife or spoon, taking care not to cut through the skin. Reserve the flesh.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and onions. Finely chop the red pepper and the eggplant flesh. Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. When hot, stir in the onion, garlic and red pepper and sauté until tender. Add the minced meat and season with salt, pepper and parsley (or oregano). Stir and fry for about 3 minutes. Add the eggplant flesh and stir.
- Cook until all the meat has browned. Stir in the tomato sauce and béchamel, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Place the eggplant halves in the tray and spoon the mixture into them. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 200 ºC/400 ºF for 10 minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve hot.