is an Andalusian dish similar to Gazpacho. It consists of a creamy soup made with tomatoes, bread, oil, garlic and vinegar and accompanied with crumbled hard boiled eggs and serrano ham dices. As it is served cold, it is the perfect starter for any summer day that you feel like having a taste of delicious Spanish food.
200 g/7 oz bread
125 ml/4.3 fl oz olive oil
1 clove of garlic
Salt to taste
Eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
Serrano ham, cut into dice
- Wash and peel the tomatoes. Then chop the tomatoes and remove the seeds.
- Cut off hard crust from the bread, then cut into small slices.
- Put the bread in a bowl and place the tomatoes on top of the bread. Add half a tsp of salt. Allow the bread to soak for 30 minutes.
- Peel and chop the garlic clove, then add it to the bowl. It is advisable to use only half of the clove and decide whether to add the other half after trying the mixture.
- Pour in the olive oil and vinegar. Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Check the seasoning, adding more salt or vinegar if desired. For a stronger taste, add the other half of garlic clove.
- If the mixture is too thick, add more olive oil. If it is too runny, add more bread instead.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Hard boil the eggs and chop into small pieces. Cut the serrano ham into small dice.
- To serve, pour the mixture into bowls or soup plates. Serve the salmorejo drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle serrano ham dice and chopped hard boiled eggs over it.