Scallops or vieiras are quite typical in Galicia, a coastal region characterized by its remarkable seafood and fish recipes. Galician-style scallops is the most common recipe and it consists of baked scallops with breadcrumbs and sauce. Served as an appetizer or first course, this traditional dish is very popular because of its delicious taste. The recipe is simple, and the result is bound to be a great success, especially for seafood lovers.
140 g/5 oz serrano ham
3 tbsp olive oil
200 ml/1 cup white wine
1 crushed tomato
Salt to taste
60 g/2 oz oz breadcrumbs
Note: Before cooking, fresh scallops must be placed in a bowl with water and salt for two hours to remove the sand.
- Steam the scallops until they open. To do it, place the scallops in a pot with 2 cups of water, cover the pot, and turn the heat to high. Reduce the heat to medium when steam starts to escape and wait until the shells open.
- Remove the tough part and the black area and discard. Wash the scallops to remove any sand.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Finely chop the serrano ham.
- Pour 3 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan and heat. When hot, add the chopped ham and fry on low for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the white wine and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the wine to reduce.
- Add the crushed tomato and cook for ten minutes. Remove from heat and let stand. Taste and season if necessary.
- Drain the water from the scallops with kitchen paper. Add to the saucepan and mix well so that the scallops absorb the flavor of the sauce.
- Preheat oven at 200 ºC/390 ºF. Place the scallops with sauce in the shells and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle parsley if desired.
- Place the scallops in a baking sheet and brown in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 180 ºC/356 ºF. Cook au gratin for two minutes. Check from time to time so that they don’t get burned. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Incoming search terms:
- galician shellfish recipes
- common recipe in galicia
- Spanish Turbot with Scallops recipes