is a typical dish from Galicia. It is similar to a pie, but stuffed with meat, fish or seafood. You can make one big empanada, as we’ve done here, or you can divide the dough and make several small empanadillas. In this recipe we have chosen to prepare a delicious and typical cod and raisin empanada. The preparation is easy and doesn’t require any cooking skills, but the result will be worthy of mention.
750 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
200 ml olive oil
2 medium eggs, beaten
1 tpsp salt
1 tsp paprika
200 ml water
For the filling
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
200 g/7 oz cod, flaked
50 g/2 oz raisins
- To make the pastry, place the flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. Place one beaten egg, salt, sweet paprika and olive oil in the center. Mix it using your hands. Then, start to gradually incorporate warm water until the mixture forms a slightly sticky dough.
- Bring the dough together with your hands and put it in the countertop (previously sprinkled with a little flour). Knead until the dough is elastic. Set aside.
- To make the filling, peel and chop the onion finely. Chop the red pepper into small pieces. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. When hot, add the chopped onion and pepper and fry on low/medium heat, stirring regularly. Fry until the onion is soft but not colored. Then add the flaked cod and fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the raisins and stir. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Sprinkle the countertop and the rolling pin with a bit of flour. Using the rolling pin, roll out half of the dough until it forms a very thin circle.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC/356 ºF and lightly oil a baking sheet. Place the rolled dough on the oiled baking sheet. Spoon the cooled filling into the dough, leaving a 2cm/1in border all the way around.
- Roll out the remaining dough. Gently place it over the filling. Fold the dough in the edge to join the two layers of dough. Press and crimp into a rope shape to seal the edge. Once the edges are sealed, make a small hole in the center to allow the steam to escape. Brush the dough with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden. It can be served warm or cold.