This type of salad is one of the most typical ones in Spain, although there are a lot of different varieties of salad in the Spanish cuisine. Also, it is a perfect starter in summer, as it is fresh and healthy. The main ingredients of this dish are lettuce, tomatoes, onion, hard‑boiled eggs, asparagus and olives. You can add other ingredients you may like, such as fish (tuna, anchovies), seafood (shrimps), meat (fried chicken), cheese (mozzarella, green cheese) or other vegetables (carrots, mushrooms, corn) and herbs (rosemary, basil), but the basic recipe is simply delicious!
1 egg, hard-boiled
½ romaine lettuce
1 medium (2 small) tomato
3-4 oz cheese (panela/feta/parmesan/mozzarella cheese)
4 white asparagus
50 g (2 oz) green/black olives
salt to taste
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white/red wine vinegar
- In a pan, pour some water and boil the egg, for 10 minutes. Once cooked, put it into cold water and let it cool. Then peel it and let it stand until it is at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, wash the lettuce and break the leaves into pieces. Drain it and put it into a bowl.
- Wash and slice the tomatoes.
- Slice the scallion or onion.
- Dice the cheese into small cubes.
- Cut the asparagus in halves.
- Once the egg is at room temperature, cut it into 4 wedges.
- Add the tomatoes, cheese cubes, asparagus, egg and olives to the bowl with the lettuce.
- Add salt to taste.
- Dress with olive oil and vinegar.
- Sprinkle with oregano to taste.
- Remember that if you keep all the ingredients in the refrigerator, the salad will be fresh. If you do not, put the salad in the refrigerator for half an hour before serving, but remember that tomatoes should be added just before serving, as chilling can harm the flavor.