Country salad is a very common starter in Spain. The basic ingredients are boiled potatoes, peppers (both red and green), tomatoes, olives (green and/or black), hard-boiled eggs and fish (canned tuna and/or sardines), all dressed with olive oil and red or white vinegar. Also, you could add other ingredients to give the salad a flavor boost, such as seafood (shrimps), ham, onion or scallion and parsley. Do not hesitate and include this nutritious and healthy salad in your diet!
400 g (14 oz) potatoes
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
½ onion or 1 scallion
150 g (5 oz) pitted green olives
1 tin tuna, drained (1 cup)
100 g (3-4 oz) shrimps
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tbsp salt (to taste)
1 tbsp fresh parsley
- Wash thoroughly the potatoes and put them into a pan with boiling water (skin on).
- Wash the eggs and put them into another smaller pan with water.
- Boil the potatoes (for 20 minutes) and eggs (for 10 minutes).
- Once cooked, remove them from the respective pans and put potatoes and eggs into 2 separate bowls with cold water. Let them stand for 5 minutes. Then set aside until they are at room temperature.
- Wash green and red peppers, remove the stems and seeds and chop them.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Wash the cucumber and cut it into small and thin pieces.
- Wash, peel (optional), seed and dice the tomatoes.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes.
- Peel and cut the eggs into quarters.
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes, eggs, peppers, onion, cucumber and tomatoes.
- Add the tuna and olives.
- Peel and sauté the shrimps and then add them to the salad.
- Add salt to taste.
- Dress with vinegar and extra virgin olive oil (just before serving).
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.