Mixed paella is one of the main three types of Spanish paella. This dish combines some ingredients of the other paellas. Besides rice, the recipe includes seafood (such as mussels, clams and shrimps), meat (usually chicken and chorizo) and vegetables (peas, green beans, and red peppers). Don’t be put off by its difficulty, it is easier than it seems. Just follow our easy recipe to enjoy this delicious mixed paella with the authentic taste of Spain.
6 cups chicken broth
12 mussels (or clams or both), cleand and debarbed
12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
⅓-½ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 chicken thighs, skinned and cut into small pieces (you could also use rabbit or both)
ground black pepper
1 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 oz Spanish cooking chorizo, sliced
4 oz green beans
4 oz. frozen peas
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp saffron threads
2 cups Bomba/Valencia rice (short-grain rice)
2 piquillo peppers (roasted red peppers)
1-2 lemons, cut into wedges
- In a pan, pour the chicken broth and heat over high heat.
- Clean and debarbe the mussels (if you are using clams, steam them into a pan with some water to remove all the sand they can have).
- Peel and devein the shrimps.
- In a paella pan, add 2-3 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the mussels (or open clams if you are using them) and shrimps. Cook the seafood for a couple of minutes and remove from the pan. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken thighs into pieces.
- Pour the rest of the olive oil into the paella pan. Add the chicken and cook for 10-15 minutes, until it is lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the onion, red pepper and garlic and add them to the pan. Cook until onion is almost translucent.
- Meanwhile, slice the chorizo and chop the green beans.
- Add the chorizo, green beans and frozen peas to the paella pan.
- Peel and dice the tomatoes and pour them into the pan.
- Sprinkle with mild paprika and add the saffron threads.
- Stir well, add the rice and fry lightly.
- Add the hot chicken broth until all the rice is well covered (add 3 parts of stock or water to 1 part of rice).
- Adjust seasoning to taste and stir well (do not stir the paella after this step).
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the seafood and cook for 8 minutes more. If necessary, you can add some more hot stock or water to prevent sticking.
- When the rice is tender and almost all the stock has been absorbed, remove the paella from heat and decorate it with piquillo peppers and lemon wedges.
- Cover the paella pan with a clean cloth or foil.
- Let it stand for at least 10 minutes and then serve.
Incoming search terms:
- Prepare Authentic Spanish Mixed Paella
- mixed paella