Chilindron chicken is a traditional Spanish chicken stew. It consists of chicken simmered with pepper, tomato, onion and serrano ham. There are hundreds of recipes with small variations; here we suggest a classical one that you will definitely love.
1 chicken, cut into pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
150 g serrano ham, cut into cubes or slices
3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 green peppers, chopped and seeds removed
1 red pepper, chopped and seeds removed
5 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1 cup white wine
Note: You can use rabbit instead of chicken.
- If the chicken is not cut into pieces, chop it. Remove the skin and season. Cut the serrano ham in cubes or slices. Peel and chop the onion, garlic and tomatoes. Chop the peppers.
- Pour olive oil in a frying pan and heat. When hot, add the chicken pieces. Fry on high heat until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the serrano ham to the same pan and sauté. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour more olive oil into the pan if necessary. Add the chopped onion, garlic and pepper. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and stir thoroughly. Toss in the paprika and stir again. Reduce the heat to low.
- Place the chicken and the serrano ham back in the pan. Pour in the wine and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat when the chicken is cooked through (it will take more depending on the size of the chicken pieces).
- Serve hot with boiled or fried potatoes, rice, salad…
Incoming search terms:
- chicken chilindron