are a typical dish of the Tex-Mex cuisine, and a variatey of the Mexican burritos. They were commonly prepared with beef, but today they can also include chicken, pork and shrimp. Also, there are several accompaniments you can use with this Mexican dish, such as shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, cheese, tomato and hot chili sauce, among others. Here you have a delicious recipe of chicken fajitas and several options as accompaniment.
1 ¼-1 ½ lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano/regular oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher salt/½ tsp table salt
½ tsp sugar
3 tbsp garlic flavored oil
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp peanut oil/regular olive oil
2 onions, peeled, halved and cut into thin strips
8 soft flour tortillas
1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, cut into strips
1 orange bell pepper, cored and seeded, cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and seeded, cut into strips
You can accompany the fajitas with any of these ingredients:
1 cup grated Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese
½ cup sour cream/creme fraiche
⅔ cup drained canned corn
1 large avocado, finely diced and dressed with ½ tsp kosher salt and 2 tsp lime juice
¼-½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
hot chili sauce
- In a shallow bowl, cut the chicken into thin and short strips.
- Add the oregano, cumin, salt, sugar, 1 tablespoon of garlic flavored oil, and the lime juice.
- Stir to mix well all the ingredients and let marinate while you get on with the onions and peppers. If you want, you can let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. In this case, remove the chicken from the refrigerator 1 hour before.
- Preheat the oven to 225 °F if you want to warm your tortillas.
- Warm the peanut or olive oil in a wok (or similar) and fry the onion slices over medium heat for 5 minutes (stir occasionally).
- Meanwhile, place the tortillas on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to warm.
- Then add the bell pepper strips to the pan with the onion and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and put the ingredients into a bowl when both the onions and peppers are tender.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of garlic flavored oil in the pan over medium heat and add the marinated chicken. Cook, for 5 minutes and stir frequently.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the onions and bell peppers. Stir well and then put the mixture into a serving dish.
- Take the warmed tortillas out of the oven.
- Put them on the table alongside all the other ingredients.
- Wrap all the ingredients in the tortillas and serve.