Burritos are a dish native to Mexico and they are characterized by the usage of rice (or Mexican rice), beans (or refried beans), meat, cheese and sauces (guacamole, sour cream). Also, they usually contain chiles (green, red, chipotle…), a typical ingredient in Mexican food. Here you have one of the authentic recipes to prepare tasty and juicy Mexican chicken burritos.
2 lbs chicken breast/chicken thighs
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tsp ground cumin
½ onion, rough chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tsp chile powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can (125 g/4 oz) green chiles
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (400 g/14 oz) diced tomatoes
½ tsp salt
6 flour tortillas (more if you use all the ingredients)
1 can (400 g/14 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed (you can also use refried beans)
1 ½ cups cooked white rice, warmed
shredded cheese, mild cheddar, or Mexican blend
Serves 4-6 (the number varies depending on how many ingredients you put in your burritos: if you only put chicken, cheese, salsa and sour cream, for example, you will get 4-6 burritos; if you use all the ingredients, you may double the number of burritos)
- Place all the chicken in a pot and add the chicken broth and water, until covered.
- Add the cumin and the rough chopped onion.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Pull the chicken out and set aside. Let it cool down.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Sauté the finely chopped onion for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently (over medium heat, then low, until the onion has a golden color).
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the green chiles, diced tomatoes, chile powder and salt and stir well.
- Turn the heat off and let the ingredients cool down.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken and remove the bones it may have.
- Blend the onion mixture until smooth and put it back into a pan.
- Add the chicken and mix the ingredients. Heat over medium heat.
- Now it is time to assemble the burritos. First, you should warm the tortillas, as they will be more pliable. To do that, you can use the oven (preheated350 °F), the microwave or a frying pan (follow the package instructions).
- Once the tortillas are warm, you can fill the burritos. To get all the flavors in every bite, you should spread all the ingredients evenly, covering the whole tortilla, but leave a couple inches at each end so you can fold and roll the burrito properly.
- Put 1 tablespoon of beans at the center of the tortilla, then 1 of rice and then 1 of chicken.
- Add some cheese, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and/or any ingredient you want.
- Fold the bottom edge of the tortilla over the filling, tuck in the sides and roll up tightly.
- Cut the burritos in half and serve.
Incoming search terms:
- the best recipes for mexican chicken burritos