Pastel de cabracho is a typical dish of Asturias, Cantabria and Basque Country. It consists of a pâté of large-scaled scorpion fish, a very common species found in the Bay of Biscay. Pastel de cabracho is typically served in special occasions, as it is a delicious appetizer and starter of easy preparation.
1 pinch of salt
1 bay leaf
400-500 g (1 lb) cabracho (large-scaled scorpion fish), clean
200 ml (7 fl oz) cream
3 tbsp Spanish fried tomato sauce
pepper (to taste)
lettuce leafs (to serve)
mayonnaise/cocktail sauce (to serve)
Melba toast (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a pan, pour water and add the salt, onion and bay leaf. Heat over medium heat until the water boils.
- Put the cabracho in the pan and cook for 5 minutes (remember that it should be clean, without head and intestines).
- Remove from the pan.
- Set aside and let it cool a bit. Also, you can freeze the fumet to use it into other recipe.
- Remove the skin and all the bones (it will take some time) and set the flesh aside. Cut the flesh with a knife into small pieces.
- In a bowl, crash the eggs and whisk them.
- Add the cream, the fried tomato sauce and the cabracho.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix all the ingredients well.
- Spread a rectangular baking pan with some butter and then pour the mixture inside.
- Put the baking pan (with the cabracho mixture) into other recipient with some water to bake the cake in a bain-marie in the preheated oven, for 45-50 minutes.
- To check if it is baked, insert a fork (or similar utensil, like a knife or skewer) into the center of cake; the fork will come clean if it is baked.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for at least 2 hours before turning it out.
- Turn the cake out in a plate with several lettuce leafs and accompany the cabracho cake with mayonnaise or cocktail sauce and Melba toast.
- You can keep cabracho cake into the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Also, if you cannot find cabracho, you can replace it for blackbelly rosefish or comber. If you use hake, for example, it will be delicious, but it will not taste of cabracho.
Incoming search terms:
- large-scaled scorpion fish cake
- pastel de cabracho english