Cream of orujo
Orujo (eau-de-vie) is a spirit very common in the north of Spain, especially in Galicia, where it is produced and distributed under the Specific Designation Orujo de Galicia. There are a lot of variants of this beverage, such as white eau-de-vie, herbal liqueur, coffee liqueur or cream of orujo.
As for the latter, there are many variants to prepare it, but the basic recipe includes orujo, sweetened condensed milk, coffee and cocoa. Some people also include egg or egg/vanilla custard to boost the flavor and give texture to the liqueur, but this is optional.
Another characteristic of this beverage is that it can be taken simply with ice or with the coffee at the end of a meal, for example. However, it is also a perfect ingredient that can be added to other recipes, such as egg custard, cupcakes or fruit salad, among other desserts.
This is an easy recipe to prepare Cream of orujo:
300 ml (1¼ cup) Galician orujo
1-2 can (370 g/13 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp instant coffee/ 1 tbsp ground coffee
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 egg/vanilla custard/1 egg yolk/vanilla essence (optional)
Makes 1 l (0.25 gal)
- In a large bowl, pour the sweetened condensed milk and the orujo and mix well (in the same proportion, so add another can of sweetened condensed milk if necessary).
- Once you get a smooth mixture, add the instant or ground coffee (or 1 cup of freshly brewed coffee if you want to get a less dense liqueur) and the cocoa powder. Note that you can add more or less coffee and cocoa depending on your personal taste.
- If desired, add 1 egg/vanilla custard to boost the flavor. Also, you could add 1 egg yolk instead. If you decide to add the latter, you could add vanilla essence too, as this flavor gives the liqueur a delicious taste.
- Stir to mix well all the ingredients and put the mixture in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Stir again and place the mixture back in the refrigerator for 1 hour more.
- If you want to adjust the taste or the texture of the liqueur, vary the ingredients.
- Note that the cream of orujo will be tastier after one day, so prepare it the previous day and keep it in the refrigerator.
Incoming search terms:
- crema de orujo
- crema con orujo