Turrón is a traditional Spanish sweet usually eaten as a Christmas dessert. It mainly consists of almonds, honey, sugar and egg white. There are two traditional types:
Turrón duro: a thick almond nougat candy shaped into a rectangular tablet
Turrón blando: a smooth almond nougat candy, similar to an almond paste shaped into a rectangular tablet
Turrón has been very popular for centuries, even outside of Spain. Because of that, we have included easy recipes for you to prepare it. Both types are easy to prepare, you just have to be ready to stir. Below we provide the recipe for turrón duro. Click here to see the recipe for turrón blando.
1 egg white
150 g/1 lb honey
150 g/ 4.5 oz sugar
250 g roasted almonds
1 tsp lemon zest
2 thin wafers (optional)
- Whip the egg white to a thick glossy meringue.
- Place the honey in a saucepan on low heat. When the honey is very runny, add the sugar gradually, while constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the sugar little by little not to form any lumps.
- When the sugar is completely mixed, remove from heat. Keep stirring with a whisk and carefully add the meringue to the saucepan. Do it slowly and never stop stirring.
- Once the mixture is completely mixed and smooth, put the saucepan back on the stove. On low heat, continue stirring for about 15 minutes or until the mixture turns into a thick caramel. As you stir, the mixture will increase in volume, condense and change color to orange.
- When the caramel is thick, stir in the almonds and the lemon zest. Stir thoroughly using a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and line a dish or tray with parchment paper. Place one wafer in the dish. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Place a second wafer on top of the mixture, then place another piece of parchment paper on top to cover the mixture. To make the turrón compact, press it by placing a cutting board over the paper with a few items on top to give it some weight.
- Let stand until cool, then refrigerate for 2-3 hours before slicing.
Incoming search terms:
- turron duro recipe
- turron duro
- al almendro turron duro
- duros recipe